Project Integration Management
There is one name change in this area; the Direct and Manage Project Execution process has been renamed to Direct and Manage Project Work.
Project Scope Management
Two changes in this knowledge area:
- Added a new process called Project Scope Management.
- Renamed the Verify Scope process to Validate Scope.
Project Time Management
A new process called Plan Schedule Management was added. Apart from this, there is no other change.
Project Cost Management
A new process called Plan Cost Management was added. Apart from this, there is no other change.
Project Quality Management
Both processes have been renamed.
- Plan Quality process becomes Plan Quality Management
- Perform Quality Control process becomes Control Quality
Project Human Resources Management
Develop Human Resources Plan process has been renamed to Plan Human Resources Management.
Project Communications Management
This knowledge area has some very significant changes. As I mentioned earlier, all processes pertaining to the stakeholder management aspect of the Project Communications Management knowledge area has been moved a new knowledge area called Project Stakeholder Management. This change means that the Project Communications Management knowledge area has only three processes.
The changes are:
- Moved the Identify Stakeholders process to the Project Stakeholder Management knowledge area
- Renamed the Plan Communications process to Plan Communications Management
- Renamed the Distribute Information process to Manage Communications
- Moved the Manage Stakeholder Expectations process to the Project Stakeholder Management knowledge area
- Renamed the Report Performance process to Control Communications
Project Stakeholder Management
This is the new knowledge area that was created. The processes in this knowledge area are:
- Identify Stakeholders
- Plan Stakeholder Management
- Manage Stakeholder Management
- Control Stakeholder Management
Project Risk Management
In this knowledge area, the Monitor and Control Risk process has been renamed to Control Risks. Apart from this, there is no other change.
Project Procurement Management
In this knowledge area, two processes have been renamed. The changes are:
- Plan Procurements process becomes Plan Procurement Management
- Administer Procurements process becomes Control Procurements
As you can probably deduce from this article, there are some significant changes that have taken place between the PMBOK version 4 and PMBOK version 5, of which we have simply provided an overview. To get more information, on the finer changes in each knowledge area, I recommend reading the PMBOK version 5 available for purchase from the PMI.
What's the most welcome change in your opinion? How will this affect your preparation for certification or the way in which you manage your projects?