All managers will face some resistance when it comes to change. How you deal with managing change will factor in when it comes to acceptance of change. Here are the top ten change management tips to help ensure your change management methods flow smoothly:
1. Expect Resistance – Don’t be fooled into thinking everyone will accept the change. Whether it’s changes in management, personnel, or processes, some people will resist. Understand upfront that change often brings insecurity and find ways to deal with that insecurity.
2. Change the Thinking – Turn naysayers around by changing how they interpret the change. If the change is a process, show them and tell them why the process is better or improved. If the change is management, discuss ways a different management structure may benefit everyone. If the change is a personnel change, be honest and open about the changes and why they were needed.
3. Take It Slow – Not everyone will be able to adapt to the change on the same level or at the same time. Identify the slow-to-change team members and offer them help or assistance in understanding the need for the change.
4. Expect Slowdowns – With change comes new things, so expect some slowdowns within your workforce. They will need time to adjust and learn about the change in order to adapt to the change.
5. Create a Time Line – When you first discuss the change, give your team a fair time line to adjust to the change. Never expect your team or individuals to change overnight or you’ll be unsuccessful.