Characteristics of an Effective Meeting - Guidelines and Tips
If you have worked in an office environment for any period of time, then you will doubtless have spent countless hours in meetings, many of them unproductive – i.e., you tuned out after a while, wondering why you showed up and lamenting the amount of wasted time.
But, what are the characteristics of an effective meeting? How can you plan in advance to ensure that your meetings are effective, productive, and worthwhile?
Whether you have been facilitating meetings for a long time and want to update your methods, or are concerned about making a good first impression as you run a meeting for the first time, this series will provide you with some theory behind facilitating a successful meeting as well as some practical tips and hints you can employ to make the best use of time.
The articles in this series are:
- Tasks and Outcomes
- Agendas and Minutes
- Time-keeping and Organization
Tasks and Outcomes will:
- focus on the importance of purpose-oriented meetings
- examine the difference between a meeting task and a meeting outcome
- discuss delegating tasks and assigning responsibility
Agendas and Minutes will discuss:
- the purpose of business meeting minutes
- how to create effective meetings with agendas
- how following agendas saves time
Time-keeping and Organization will examine:
- the importance of time and proper time-keeping
- why you as a facilitator should always be organized
- how organization increases efficiency
Image Credit: sxc.hu/spekulator