- slide 1 of 4
The delegation process in project management calls for some delicate handling, as any rash or ill-conceived steps can create complications. But if the delegation process is planned well and meticulously implemented, it can be immensely helpful in project management.
- slide 2 of 4
Steps Required for Delegation Process
- Instill confidence in the team and encourage them by saying that your continued guidance will be available to them and they should feel free to approach you whenever any problems crop up.
- Discuss with the team what specific resources – like manpower, floor space, equipments, funds, etc., that are required to complete the task.
- Let them know how you intend monitoring their performance and measuring the results.
- Explain to the person/s the criticality of the assigned job and how their performance can affect the overall project implementation.
- The onus is on you to clearly explain to the person/s why they have been specifically selected, the nature of the work to be done and the time frame within which it has to be accomplished.
- Select the person or team for delegating the identified task after making sure that the person/team is capable of handling the task efficiently. Delegating the task to some less capable person/s can create more problems than it will solve.
- Be sure beforehand that the responsibility you intend to hand over merits delegation.
- slide 3 of 4
Nature of Delegation
It is a gross oversimplification to define delegation as entrusting work to somebody and instructing the person what and how to do it. The delegation process is lot more complex than that.
As the person delegating the task, you must take care to see the delegation process takes place in an appropriate manner. If the team you select is adequately experienced and trustworthy, you can afford to delegate more power and greater freedom and flexibility to the team. If the task delegated is sensitive and critical to the implementation of the project, then you have to be extra careful in assigning the responsibility.
- slide 4 of 4
Certain tasks that are cumbersome and involve minute attention to details are better achieved when delegated among a team, and you can also be freed to attend to other major tasks. Nonetheless, you need to exercise remote control to ensure that the project implementation does not get delayed and the team carries out its assigned task responsibly.
Delegating tasks with concomitant powers and responsibilities to various teams is therefore an essential part of project implementation. But the delegation process in project management may call for lot of pre-study, careful planning and proper execution. If the delegation process is haphazard, then it can seriously interfere and needlessly delay project execution. Once you understand your project requirements, prioritize them, and evaluate your project management approach, your delegation process will become a lot simpler.
Image Credit: Project Management Phases - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Project_Management_(phases).png