A Good Fit is Important
Finding the program that fits is just as important in project management as is finding a shoe that fits. The right one will be comfortable and will help you to get where you need to go. The wrong one will leave a painful blister in its wake. It's no different for your project.
The right tool will help you to streamline the process of scheduling tasks, track contacts, and complete a successful project. The wrong one can cause confusion, and it can lead to project failure. For this reason, it's important to make a list of the requirements you expect that the project will have when it comes to managing it.
Think about things like:
- What is your budget?
- Will multiple people be accessing the project?
- Do you need to track time as well as the schedule?
- Will you need a calendar feature?
- Would wikis or discussion boards be helpful?
- Will the project be the only thing tracked, or will financial information also be tracked?
- How detailed do you need the CRM features to be?
- Do you need to have privacy controls and involvement levels for the project?
- How technologically savvy are you?
- Will access to your project occur from multiple computers or multiple platforms?
By taking time to outline what you need from your software, you will increase the likelihood that you will be able to find a program that is the perfect fit for your project. Most online programs allow you to access your project no matter what platform you're working on. Also, many of these online project management tools allow users to create their projects for free or for a low-cost subscription price. That means that if you don't have a lot of projects to manage, or if your project management needs are light, you can save a lot of money.