- slide 1 of 4
Different Strokes for Different Folks
When searching for a gap analysis template, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you need to be clear about what you are looking for - are you looking for an Excel worksheet, or are you looking for a gap analysis flow chart? Are you doing an SWOT analysis or a general gap anlaysis - be sure to take your gap analysis method into account. Because there are many different types of templates out there, it is important to be clear about your template needs. Below you will find a list of gap analysis templates that will meet just about every need.
- slide 2 of 4
Full Gap Analysis Report Templates
If you're looking for the whole she-bang, that is, a template for the gap analysis report, there are a few good resoucres. Here's a list of some of the templates I found online:
- "Disaster Recovery and Continuity GAP Assessment" by Business Planning BCP (.doc download) - this isn't so much a template as an example of what a Gap Analysis might look like in completed form. You can substitute your information in for the information provided - just make sure you change the content of the document.
- "Analysis" at NW Link by Allison Rossett - again, this is more of an outline for your Gap Analysis than it is a template, but if you're having trouble getting started, it can be a great resource.
- Institute for Sustainable Futures - This is a PDF document that shows how your Gap analysis can be used in a longer report, once again, this is more of an example than it is a true template.
Finally, I have uploaded a template for your gap analysis report in our media gallery. This is a bare-bones template that will allow you to enter your information into the pre-determined format.
- slide 3 of 4
Gap Analysis Templates
Gap Analysis templates can be in Word, Excel, or even MS Project formats. There are several places online where you can find gap analysis templates when you don't need the background information (or when you're organizing your findings). Here are a few resources:
- Northwest Road Map's Gap Analysis Template - this template allows you to compare what the strategic objectives are against where the gap exists and why the objective is important. It is a Word .doc downolad.
- Irving Independent School District also provides a gap analysis worksheet in Word .doc format that you can fill in with your information.
- slide 4 of 4
SWOT Analysis Templates
Finally, other free gap analysis templates that are available include those for SWOT Analyses. An SWOT analysis takes into account your strenghts, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. The goal of an SWOT analysis is to maximize your strenghts and opportunities while minimizing your weaknesses and threats. You can find a great SWOT gap analysis template at Business Balls.
If you're looking for more sample forms and downloadable templates, check out Bright Hub's resource guide: Over 50 Free Project Management Templates and Sample Forms.