Work Log Components
The different fields to be filled in the work log sheet are:
1. Department: The department in which the employee works.
2. Date: The date for which the work log sheet is being prepared.
3. Employee Name: The name of the employee who is recording his work activities on the log sheet.
4. Supervisor’s Name: The name of the supervisor or manager to whom the employee reports, as per work hierarchy.
5. Start/Stop Time: In the free work log sheet provided with this article, the time slabs are for half an hour each. The employee is required to fill in the work activities performed by him using these time slabs. However, since most tasks cannot be completed in half an hour, instead of writing the same work activity on each time slab, the employee can just cover the time slabs over which the task continued with a vertical line and put the task name just once against it.
6. Task Performed: The names of the tasks that were performed during the course of the day, like client meetings, preparing reports, etc. There is no need to get too descriptive about the work performed – just a word or two that describes the task is sufficient.
7. Equipment or Resources Used: The names of the main equipment or resources that were used to perform the task, if any, can be added in this field of the work log sheet.
8. Final Remarks: This field is again optional. If the employee has some important remarks to leave about the task, they can be added here.
9. Signatures: Every work log sheet must be signed by the employee as well as the supervisor.
Employers should encourage employees to complete the daily work log sheets and entrust the supervisors with the task of collecting them from all their subordinates on a daily basis.