8 Steps to Prepare a SOW
1. Establish a preliminary scope statement that identifies the project objective or purpose. Be sure to include a description of the type of work being performed including any boundaries associated with performance and duties.
2. List the tasks to be performed to indicate any performance requirements and all project requirements that the contractor must comply with during contract performance.
3. As much as possible, group similar or related tasks and organize each task in logical order.
4. Identify any resources that are necessary to complete each task that includes labor, equipment, or materials.
5. Identify project deliverables required for the project to be successfully completed.
6. Identify any time-sensitive milestones or deliverables.
7. Describe quality expectations and applicable deadlines in terms of quality, quantity, time and appearance. Performance deliverables should be realistic, objective, and measurable.
8. Determine how you will monitor the deliverables. Some methods used include random sampling, periodic inspections, and reporting.
Of course, a key component to successfully preparing the SOW is the contractor’s ability to provide a comprehensive document that fully represents your company and project requirements.