This quiz contains eight questions. You should attempt these questions in 10 minutes by choosing the best option. The answer key is provided at the end of the quiz. The answer key also contains links to further reading material available at Bright Hub Project Management.
Your aim should be to get seven or eight questions correct. Good Luck!
PMP Practice Questions
1) During project execution, a work item has taken twice as long as the estimation. The estimates were provided for by the Project Architect and an external consultant. The client has asked if the deadline can be brought forward by a week. Which of the following actions can you take?
A. Use the Triangle of Constraints to understand and explain to the client that if the deadline is brought forward the scope and/or cost will increase.
B. Analyze the risk and add it to the Risk Breakdown Structure.
C. Use the Delphi Method to determine if this request can be accommodated.
D.Provide the client with the new schedule and communicate the risk of bringing forward the deadline.
2)Which of the following techniques can you use to estimate the duration of an activity?
A. Arrow Diagramming Method
B. Precedence Diagramming Method
C. Three-point Estimation
3) After you’ve baked a cake, you want to serve it cold. Therefore, before serving it to the guests you will need to put the cake into a fridge and wait for it to cool. The activity “Serve Guests Cake" will not start right after the “Bake Cake" activity. This is an example of _________.
4) Analyze the Precedence Diagram shown below. (Click image for a larger view.)
Which of the following activities will delay the entire project, if the activity is completed late?
A. Purchase Wood
B. Purchase Paint
C. Hire Workers
D. None of the above
5) Which of the following is a risk associated both with crashing and compressing schedules?
A. Inaccuracies in Activity Duration estimates
B. Increase in scope
C. Increase in cost
D. Increase in communication challenges
6) To determine the estimates of your project, you have surveyed the Project Architect, an external Consultant and the project team members. What type of estimation technique does this closely resemble?
A. Delphi Method
D. Planning Poker
7) Analyze the following Precedence Diagram.
By how many days can the “Purchase Paint" activity be delayed before the project is delayed?
8) Which of the following planning techniques or methodologies DOES NOT allow you to estimate and plan as the project unfolds?
C. Rolling Wave Planning
Mentioned below is the answer key and some links that’ll help you improve your project management knowledge.
1) A. Option B is invalid because you would analyze the risk, but you would add it to a Risk Register and not the Risk Breakdown Structure (RBS). Option C is invalid because the Delphi Method is not used for converging expert thought. In project management, the Delphi Method is used for areas, such as Estimation. Option D is totally wrong. You can’t take in each and every client request. Option A is the only valid answer. The Triangle of Constraints is very useful when negotiating with clients. For more information, read Estimate Your Project Realistically.
2) C. This a recall question. You need to know the Inputs, Tools and Techniques, and Outputs (ITTO) as per the version 4 of the PMBOK. For more information, read PM Certification and Time Management.
3) A. As there is a delay between the ending of a predessor and a successor, this is an example of a Lag. For more information, read Examples of Leads and Lags.
4) C. Hire Workers–activities that lie on the longest path will delay the entire project. For more information, read Using the Critical Path Method (CPM).
5) D. Crashing and Compressing has risks. Option D is one of the risks. For more risks, read When to Crash and Compress a Schedule.
6) A. This is an example of using the Delphi Method in Estimation. For more information, read Accurate Estimations with the Delphi Method.
7) C. This question is targeting the slack or float concept. For the worked out solution, read Calculate the Float by Using the Critical Path Method (CPM).
8) D. You should read on common planning techniques and methodologies. Waterfall is one of the first methodologies that was created for software development.
Here is a trick question.
During project execution, several work items have taken twice as long as the estimated duration. The client is continuously asking for more features or additions to identified features. Such client requests are an example of ____________.
A. Poor schedule creation
B. Scope Creep
C. Poor estimation
D. Poor client requirements collection
This question leads you to think that the problem lies in estimation. However, the question is asking specifically “What these client requests are an example of?" Therefore, options A and C are not valid answers. Option D is probably the reason behind the client’s requests. However, that is not what the question is asking for. Option B is the only valid answer. For more information, read Managing Scope Creep.
Note: It is common for questions in the PMP certification to lead you to think something else, while the question actual targets a totally different knowledge area.